TERM 1 2015 – NEWSLETTER
GROUP AND COMMITTEE NEEDS
· 2 X SCOUT LEADERS IN TRAINING BEFORE JUNE – OR SECTION WILL CLOSE
· 1 X JOEY LEADER IN TRAINING BEFORE JUNE
· FUNDRAISING SUPPORT PERSON – 1 FROM EACH SECTION
· LAMINATED 100 CLUB BOARD – REUSABLE
· 15 X PARENT HELPER APRONS – WITH PRINTED 1ST SWANSEA
· COMBO CORK/WHITEBOARD FOR HALL
· WINDOW REPAIR
· AUTHORISE PAYMENTS FOR
o TERM 4 REGO
o GROUP SHIRTS
o ABOVE ITEMS
PARENT SUPPORT MEETINGS – WK 2 & 6 OF EACH TERM AT SWANSEA MACCAS 7PM TUESDAY
TERM 1 FEES ARE NOW DUE – If you haven’t received an invoice or are experiencing difficulty please contact Kath – 0421 217 987 or see your leader
PERSONAL DETAILS – Please ensure your contact details are up to date. Ideally we need Mob phone number and email, as these are our preferred contacts, particularly for the older youth members who are often outside of the hall. Please send through correct contact details to your leader or by email to email@example.com with youth member, your name, address, mobile number and email.
CLEANING ROSTER – TOILETS EVERY WEEK
TERM 1 & 3 – CUBS
TERM 2 – SCOUTS
TERM 4 – JOEYS
WORKING BEES – TASKS ON WHITEBOARD IN HALL
Scouting is a voluntary organisation & we rely heavily on parent support. Each section requires different levels of supervision & assistance. As Joeys are the youngest, parents are generally expected to help out on the night & are also required to attend camps with their children. Cubs only need a little parent assistance on Cub nights but extra helps are frequently required on camps to help with cooking & other activities. Scouts are more self-sufficient & parents are only required to help with transport to & from events & with unpacking the group trailer at the end of camps.
But we need your help in the following areas:
· Leaders – These are your children – who better to help them out. Our leaders have always come from the parents, please step up so we can continue to provide Scouting to your children.
· Transport – Occasionally the children will need to be transported to various activities included in our program.
· Maintenance of the Scout Hall – It is important that the place in which our children gather is clean, hygienic & safe. Assistance is required to ensure this is the case through a parent cleaning & mowing roster & the occasional working bee.
· Parent Roster – Leaders can always do with an extra pair of hands, eyes & ears. If we call for a little extra help, it is good to know that there are parents willing to assist.
· Attendance at Group Support Meetings – The parent Group Support Committee is essential to the success of the Scout Group as a whole. Meetings are held approximately twice a term & they allow you the opportunity to stay informed of all the happenings within the Group. We ask that at least one family member attend these meetings. The only other meeting that we ask you to attend is our Group Annual General Meeting that is usually held in first term.
The Scout Group is entirely self-funded. The Group meets the cost of maintaining camping equipment in first class, safe condition as well as paying for & maintaining the Scout Hall itself. There are also Leader training costs, which are met by the Group.
As well as the general Group running costs, there is the cost of providing new equipment & resources such as tents, ropes, cooking gear, games equipment etc.
This results in a shortfall of around $6000 each year that must be met by fundraising, and where applicable, grants. We believe that instead of increasing fees to meet this shortfall our parents are willing and see the value in contributing to fundraising throughout the year to cover these expenses, as well as providing a positive example of community involvement to their children. Please join us at our parent meetings to discuss any matters first hand.